Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Ultimate Update

My intention in writing this entry is to catch up on what has been happening in our lives for the past six months or so. I will begin with late last summer and trickle forward as chronological as possible. I have not posted regularly for quite some time and it was deliberately avoided on my part. I was busy with work, family and ministry, as well as just living life for a while off of the pages of the web. Nonetheless, it is my hope and plan to not only "catch up," but to continue sharing about God's faithfulness towards us in all things.



Late Last Summer
I began working two days a week in June of last year at Wright Glass here in New Albany. In late July, I approached Donnie about the possibility of spending time with Hannah and considering a serious relationship together. With all pertinent parties considered and with each of their blessings, Hannah and I began to see each other more regularly and discuss what the Lord might have for our future. She was willing to give up the 'ideal' that little girls grow up dreaming about for the plan that God had orchestrated on her behalf. I was and will be forever grateful.


Fall 2008
The fall was busy to say the least. With two trips to Ethiopia in back to back months, working a couple of days a week at the glass shop, and preaching most Sundays out of town, I stayed fairly occupied with life and what it required of me. The help from Hannah was immense during these months. She was with Ellie and Isaac day after day, caring for them, assisting me in whatever needed to be done. On her birthday (October 31) I asked her if she would marry me. She responded, "yes, uh huh." So, we began preparing for a wedding the following year.





The Holidays
I suppose the holiday season is similar for everyone: BUSY. For us, it was no different. With family functions and other gatherings we maintained a booked schedule while at the same time doing some of the preparations required for a then scheduled March 6 wedding. Christmas was fun with the kids. On Christmas Eve we were in Jackson for the traditional "breakfast for supper" with my family. On Christmas morning Hannah came over and cooked breakfast. We then watched Ellie and Isaac open their gifts from us; this was followed by us going to Hannah's parents for the evening and having Christmas there. From there it was off to Atlanta for the weekend to visit Hannah's two sisters and their families.






Two Thousand Nine
Wow, has this year been flying by? We only had nine weeks following the holidays to finish the wedding preparations, and I traveled to Ethiopia in the midst of this short time. Even still, everything came together wonderfully, and last Friday night Hannah and I exchanged vows and she became Mrs. Hannah K. Mathenia. The wedding was really so much fun. Though we held it in an unfinished, unlit shell of a building with minimal electricity that was piped in the week of the wedding, it was comfortable and enjoyable for both Hannah and me. One memorable moment for me was immediately following the recessional while waiting for the crowd to clear so we could take pictures. Ellie came up behind us reaching her arms up to hug Hannah's neck and said, "I am so glad you're my momma now." We chose the faithfulness of God to be the theme for our wedding because it sums up so well what He has been to us all: amazingly faithful. As a result of His faithfulness we are extremely grateful and pray that He would receive much honor and glory from our lives as we live them out in Christ.



From Here
We have little to no idea where life will take us from this point. We are open to the Lord's good pleasure and trust Him for everything.




12 comments:

Kurt Strassner said...

Thanks for the update. Continuing to be amazed and thankful for all God is doing. So good to see all four of you last week.

Hannah said...

Congratulations!! The wedding was so beautiful!!


~Hannah~

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled that God has brought many blessing into your life over the last year. Can't wait to watch the kids grow!!

Jessica

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting, those are beautiful pictures, congrats, et cetera.
When reading of God's faithfulness to y'all, I was close to tears. It's almost overpowering to see. Love y'all!
Yours affably
~Jake~

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update...I have been worried about you and the children...glad it worked out.

Anonymous said...

Tony Ray! I can't believe you actually posted, way to go! It truly is amazing to look at the faithfulness of God displayed in both of your lives. And I agree, the wedding was great fun. I am incredibly happy for you guys and look forward to seeing where He takes you.

Anonymous said...

Beauty from ashes. That's what He does time and time again...

Tina

Anonymous said...

Praise God for the work He has done in your lives!! May He continue to richly bless your family!!!
Love, Scott and Angela

Anonymous said...

Woo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love Y'all,
The Rileys

Heather said...

Hooray! What great pictures! Ellie has mentioned several times today how happy she is to have a new mama!

John Formsma said...

How exciting! I'm thrilled for all of you!

the williams said...

we're so happy for you, anthony. God truly does give good gifts!!